Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Vikram Seth on being Bi

Some men like Jack and some like Jill
I'm glad I like them both but still
I wonder if this freewheeling
Really is an enlightened thing,
Or is its greater scope a sign
Of deviance from some party line?
In the strict ranks of Gay and Straight
What is my status: Stray? Or Great?


Seth was the Aamir Khan of my teens. Years have passed, much has changed in the world and yet, and yet, when I met him at the reading of his latest book (Two Lives) a few months ago, I became once again the schoolgirl who skipped school to finish reading his tome. A few weeks ago I discovered his bisexual leanings that, in hindsight, was always conspicuous in his books and poems.

How deceitful are teenage hormonal surges!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please ... that Vikram is gay as the day is long and queer as 13 ruppee note ... this bye bye sexual nonsense is a pose an an overly precious literary conceit.

Vignettes said...

Vikram Seth hot? Good gawd almighty. gives hope to twerps like me :)